Let's Talk About It..

This is a space for like minded people to share their thoughts and comment on mine. I want to hear from you as I express my opinions on everything from politics to entertainment, from women's issues and concerns to spiritual growth. Come join me on this journey and share this space with me......

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Lake View.....Sunday, August 19, 2012

It's a bit cool by the lake, but the waters are calm. 

What a weekend it has been.  We took David Michael to school this weekend.  Our first born son is off to college.  He is a freshman at NDSU, majoring in manufacturing engineering. It was bittersweet time.  I think his Dad is taking it a bit harder, but Mom on the other hand, is handling things surprisingly well.

I am so proud of his accomplishments thus far.  I am proud of the young man he is becoming.  Through this journey thus far, I can tell he will be a man that handles his business first.  A man who seems serious of about his career and education.  He has been a pleasure to raise and we have been so blessed to be his parents. So I say thank you to God first and to everyone that has supported and participated in making this young man.  We all have great hopes for him and I think he has great hopes for himself.  So let's sit back and watch him sprout his wings..from the lake.

In other news, NATM's movie event was Sparkle and 3/4's of the McCoy's went to check it out.  Barb, Tasha and her Mom joined us.  It was a good film, very entertaining, good acting and good music/singing.  Now, NATM's movie events take place at the Showplace Icon theater in St. Louis Park.  They have a VIP lounge and theater that allows you to take cocktails in the movie theater.  I love the concept, but oftentimes the films with all black or predominately black casts, don't get to VIP.  I am contemplating if we should move the venue or if I should speak with the manager to understand how we could influence that...what do you think?

Lastly what has been on my mind is this voter registration hijacking that is happening in States across the country.  They are passing laws that require folks to show id's in order to vote, they are shortening voter time in districts, etc...every nasty ploy in the book.  The problem is that there isn't more outrage about this.  My people died, DIED for the right to vote, we can not be so apathetic to allow racist people to #$*& with that.  So I am going to do something.  There's a march going on next Saturday and I plan to be apart of it.  What are you going to do?

That's what's going on down by the lake.  Until next time...stay breezy!

No comments:

Post a Comment